Friday, September 11

The Writing Process

Still beavering away at the new book. I thought I'd make a few comments on my writing process in case there are any authors out there who want to compare notes in the comments.

 

I'm finished my first pass, and I am very happy with the overall concept and the flow of the book. It's in novel form and has a nice story arc to it. It builds slowly, introducing us to the characters. I try to make sure there is at least a bit of titillating stuff in every chapter. In later chapters I pull out more of the stops. I basically try to take the reader on a journey through the character's awakening to domestic discipline.

I foreshadow things to come. For example, in the early chapters quite often Julie is asking David to stop the car at a rest stop so she can go pee. This foreshadows the diapering she will experience in a later chapter. Or David and my Dad exchange a subtle innuendo, which foreshadows the point in the book where David spanks me in front of Daddy for the first time. Or Nancy start off as an eighteen year-old brat and we comment that she needs a spanking, which foreshadows my parents taking up spanking again for her.

It's all written down in my word processor, but I find I can't proof-read it there. That's where I write. I can't read it there. I render it down to pdf in approximately the format it will be in Kindle. I email that to myself and load it onto a pdf reader on my iPad. Then I curl up with it and read it all the way straight through from start to end. Of course, I catch typos as I go, and I have a highlighter feature on my pdf reader so I can quickly mark the problem area and read on without much interrupting the reading flow. I then go back to the word processor on the computer and laboriously make my way through all the marked areas and correct them. It's amazing to me that I can read it straight through like this, several times, and still find obvious typos that were there from the start.

I do a pass through looking for consistency in the form and the verb tenses. When I blurt I tend to mix up my past and present tenses freely, so I have to go back and put it all into a coherent grammatical structure. This involves deciding on your point of view when telling the story. I decided to tell it from a point 4 years after the events. Only the final short chapter brings us up into the present to wrap up the events of the book.

At this point I can begin reading it with a more critical eye to the reader's engagement and enjoyment. If I'm boring myself, even after the 10th read, It's not right yet. I found some of the earlier chapters to be too slow moving, and so am cutting those down to size. I also wrote in too much over-the-top stuff that when I read it back I can no longer suspend disbelief, so I have to go back and tone that stuff down also. Also as I go through it a nice phrase comes to mind that I think would add something, so I add that in judiciously.

I find in places that some of my own writing is plain annoying me. It feels heavy and pedantic in places, so I have to go back and do something about that.

There's a surprising lot of thought and effort that goes into producing a really readable and enjoyable book. I knew this from my first book, and so knew what to expect on this one.

That's my little update, now back to work, woman! Mush! Mush!

24 comments:

  1. Eagerly waiting for the end product. A lot of work seems to be going there. The question is will it gets you nearer to your Noble prize in Literature that I nominated you for....Good luck 👍.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would absolutely love seeing you in the corner with a red bum and gladiator sandals, with a tail plug in your bum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to wear one of those pony tales stuck into my butt. Maybe some special pants with a strategically placed hole so I could wear it out on the town...

      Delete
    2. This would be too awesome of a scene for David to initiate or participate in. Miss Violet perhaps? Having you on your hands and knees, butt plug tail in and bit gag with reins? As she’s behind you, lubricating her strap on?

      Delete
  3. Hope don't Break a nail When writing or typing the books or get hand cramps lol joking cant wait until book done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m also working on a writing project, something scintillating in a very different way to a certain group. I’m not as good a writer and a terrible proofreader, so I’ve hired an editor to look for errors and make certain kinds of suggestions. She’s fact and it less expensive than I would think, but it’s for work so it’s not out of my pocket.

    But it’s nice to send it out, ignore it for a week and get it back improved.

    Best,

    Rosco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to hire a vanilla pro woman to do that. "So what did you think of the book?". Is "cumming" the right spelling? Should I write "butt fucked" or "sodomized"? ...

      Delete
  5. Nothing beats having a copy editor. I subscribe (not expensive) to Grammerly. It sits under my word processor and browser. It underlines issues and when I mouse over them, it suggests fixes. I find it does a good job with punctuation and some of the other more obvious issues.

    My wife copy edits my writing. She's good at continuity. However, when I write something for real publication I look for an online copy editor. Amazon's mechanical turk has copy editors.

    Nothing beats fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reading process

    We, the readers, are subject to your benevolent art.
    The clues, the hints at what is to come, build up a pleasant tension because we want the denouement they presage. (Julie humiliated, Julie spanked)
    On the other hand for Julie, certain clues (warning, allusions) are rather distressing because they suggest a dreaded and painful outcome. (Julie humiliated, Julie spanked)

    What she feels pleases us: "butterflies in her tummy", "tummy churning embarrassment" and these warnings which make her tremble too:
    "There will be consequences" or "I will explain in detail what I'm going to do to you"
    It's all about "delay"

    The fact that you disclose clues in your blog clues ("teasing?"), will not affect our reading.
    Being informed of what is to come is, for us readers, all the more exciting.

    I quote you "If I'm boring myself, even after the 10th read, It's not right yet"
    This assumes that the narrative mechanism you are developing is, once completed, an instrument of pleasure that the reader can use and reuse over and over again.
    Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it is my intent to build some anticipation, for me too!

      Delete
  7. Proofreading is a seperate skill and I have heard it said that it requires use of a different side of the brain to writing. I don’t enjoy proofreading so, to make sure I have to do it only once, I use a ruler on a printed page and confirm every line is correct before moving to the next. Spellcheck assists but cannot be relied upon. A spanking for each error might motivate you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a musician and songwriter for the better part of 35 years or more. That attention to detail is what makes for such great art (not saying I'm great or make great but I sure do my best). Having said that, the role of a producer is to keep an objective eye on things for when attention to detail becomes an obsession. One of my favorite songs I've ever written (musically, not lyrically) almost got deleted because I made the decision while fatigued that it wasn't good. That small voice said, "Wait 'til tomorrow..." Boy am I glad I did! Being objective is possibly the most demanding aspect of creative pursuits.

    My 3 tips:
    Enjoy the process
    Seek objective "oversight"
    Pursue excellence, not perfection (The perfect is the enemy of the good)

    Lc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps for every highlighted point in the PDF you should receive a stroke of your least favourite spanking implement?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Julie,
    I Love your Blog!
    In Stories and Books I love to read about the humiliation part of the story,
    especially, When it has to do with being Naked before and after the Spanking..
    Example, Your husband makes you strip naked before you enter your parents house because you have ben naughty and you will not be able to get dressed until you get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of that sort of thing. Just before David or Daddy spanks me or my little sister, Mom is all "Get those clothes off, young ladies."

      Delete
  11. Awkward situation, a phone call from the older woman who gave me my first adult spanking. She was visiting a friend, remember I lived near by, called, my wife answered, and only said a person I knew was dropping in. The look on my face when I answered the door. We sat and talked and hoping the topic of the spanking would not come up. Bea smiled and said she told my wife while on the phone and then asked if I was still spanked. My wife smiled, and said very much so. Bea said he acted like a little boy when I spanked him, my wife said nothing has changed. I said nothing, wanting to leave the room. The two talked as if I wasn't there, and my wife told her I need to show you something, left the room, came back with the bath brush, does wonders on his bare bottom she said. Very nice Bea said, should have thought of that. We went out to dinner, I tried to stop the talking of the spankings as much as I could. I asked Bea what she was doing, and she said enjoying being retired, traveling, still single, visiting friends. It was a couple of days later, my wife said Bea was going to come over prior to going home, I asked if the spanking topic could be avoided, my wife smiled. Well we talked about a variety of subjects. I was glad when she left, good to see her, but last thing I wanted to happen, to have my past come to visit. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bea is the name I gave to David's sister in my book!

      Delete
  12. Talking of bit gags above and pony play I do feel that more use of gags would be beneficial. You do have a smart mouth sometimes so a nice gagging would fix that problem and create a nice drool pool as an added bonus. Very submissive/sexy. Mr D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find the thought of being ball-gagged for an extended period of time as punishment, in an embarrassing situation such as visiting my parents, to be exciting. A very appropriate punishment for talking politics at the dinner table against my husband's wishes. I'd have to just sit there at the table, ball-gagged, bibbed and drooling, not eating, as they enjoyed their food and conversation...

      Delete